Click Tabs For More Information
• Lowndes County Schools Central Registration (1592 Norman Drive, next to Board of Education). Check website (www.lowndes.k12.ga.us) for current hours.
• Berrien County, Lanier County and Valdosta City Schools all enroll students at the school they will attend. For correct school zoning information, call 229-686-2081 (Berrien County), 229-482-3966 (Lanier County) or 229-245-5640 (Valdosta City Student Transportation).
• The parent with “Primary Custodial Authority” or legal guardian with proper guardianship documentation must accompany student(s) for registration. Individuals will be asked to provide copy of divorce decree and/or guardianship documentation to school officials for review. If you lack this documentation contact the Wing Legal Office (229-257-3414) for guidance.
• Official birth certificate for pre-kindergarten, kindergarten and first grade students; not necessary for older students who have a military identification card or previous school documentation showing birth date.
• GA Dept of Public Heath Certificate of Immunization (GA Form 3231) is required to be presented at registration. Military personnel may obtain a copy of this form from the Moody AFB Clinic. Families seen on-base should take current shot records and visit Immunization Clinic to have the data transferred and the form signed during walk-in hours (call 257-2778). Families with off-base Primary Care Managers (PCM) should take their student’s shot record to their physician’s office to have the data transferred and signed by their PCM.
EFFECTIVE FOR 2014-2015 SCHOOL YEAR, ALL STUDENTS BORN ON/AFTER 1 JANUARY 2002 MUST RECEIVE A PERTUSSIS (whooping cough) BOOSTER AND MENINGCOCCAL (MENINGITIS) SHOT BEFORE ENTERING SCHOOL.
• GA Dept of Public Health Certificate of Ear, Eye, Dental and Nutrition (GA Form 3300) is required to be presented at registration. Military personnel and/or families may obtain a copy of this form from the Moody AFB Pediatrics Clinic or Family Health Clinic; may have it completed during walk-in hours (257-2778). Families with off-base PCMs should take their student’s shot record to their physician’s office to have the data transferred and signed by their PCM.
• Child’s Social Security Card (copy will be made and original returned).
• Withdrawal and/or transcript, report card, all special education records and name and mailing address of previous school attended.
• Proof of residence (e.g., current electric, gas, water, cable or sanitation bill; rental agreement, or mortgage documentation) is required. Some districts may require more than one proof of residence; contact your local Board of Education (see phone numbers below) for precise requirements.
(GA Dept of Education Rule 160-5-1-.10). The state of GA is STRICT about attendance. Lowndes County and Valdosta City Schools have a strict truancy protocol. Please refer to the MCEP Guide (above) for current rules. Parents are reminded to submit a written excuse within 3 days after a child returns to school or IAW with their school district policy. Parents should make/retain copies of all such documents. Please review MCEP Guide for additional information. If parents are contacted about a child’s attendance, do not delay in responding to phone calls, form letters or visits by School Resource Officers. ALL ABSENCES COUNT!
The assignment by school district and zone is determined by a family’s physical address. If you have a preference for a specific district or school zone in Lowndes Co or Valdosta districts, please call Lowndes Co Transportation (245-2257) or Valdosta City Transportation (245-5640) to verify before signing a lease or mortgage agreement. Bus transportation is provided to all children. Children of personnel residing on-base (Family Billeting, Quiet Pines, or Magnolia Grove) currently attend Lowndes County Schools (Pine Grove Elementary; Pine Grove or Hahira Middle School; Lowndes High School). Children of personnel residing in Azalea Commons (e.g., privatized housing off Val Del Road) currently are scheduled to attend Dewar Elementary, Hahira Middle School or Lowndes High School.
Online, Free Public Schools are available. These are overseen by the GA State Charter School Association (www.gacharters.org). These are not home schools. Parents need to contact schools directly.
Georgia Connections Academy Grades K-12
GA Connections Academy
Georgia Cyber Academy Grades K-12
GA Cyber Academy
Provost Academy Georgia Grades 9-12
Provost Academy Georgia
The Georgia Lottery for Education funds the state preschool program. Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning manages the Georgia Pre-K program. Children four years of age on September 1 of the current school year, whose parents are Georgia residents (to include military personnel stationed in the state of Georgia) are eligible to attend Georgia Pre-K program during the school year. Georgia Pre-K Program is voluntary. Due to overwhelming demand, enrollment was determined by lottery drawing in the Feb-Mar time frame. MAFB Child Development Center Pre-K program enrolls on a “first come, first served” basis in April annually. For more info, contact 229-257-9220.
Georgia’s HOPE (Helping Outstanding Pupils Educationally) Scholarship Program: HOPE is funded by the Georgia Lottery for Education. HOPE may be used at public technical colleges and eligible public or private colleges and universities in Georgia. Additional information about HOPE may be found at the Georgia Student Finance Commission, by calling 1-800-505-4732, or by visiting the financial aid office of the college, university or technical college you plan to attend. Note that students awarded HOPE scholarships may be able to retain eligibility even if parents PCS from GA. Please contact SLO for details.