Military Personel (ID Cards, Awards & Decs)

Parker Greene Building, Bldg 105

(229) 257-4660 | DSN 460-4660 | Fax:  (229) 257-2904

ID Section/Deers Updates

Mon, Thur & Fri: 8 am – 4 pm
Tues: 7 am – 4 pm
Wed: 9 am – 4pm

MPF (Assignments/Retirements/LeaveWeb/PCS Amendments/Separations/Evaluations)

Mon, Wed, Thur & Fri: 9 am – 3 pm
Tues: 7 am – 3 pm

I’m a family member of a military member. Does my sponsor have to sign anything before I can be issued a military identification card?
Yes. The sponsor must sign a DD Form 1172-2, Application for Identification Card DEERS Enrollment. As the title suggests, the form is used to enroll a family member into the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS); however, it is also used as an application for a Uniformed Services Identification Card. The form is required whenever a new military identification card is produced.

Normally, the sponsor of the family member will visit a RAPIDS Site to complete the form. A Verifying Official at that site will work with the sponsor to ensure information in DEERS is correct then print and sign the form along with the sponsor.

What are my responsibilities as a sponsor?
The sponsor must ensure eligible dependents are provided with current ID cards and enrolled in DEERS. Failure to enroll and update eligible dependents may result in denial of routine medical care at military treatment facilities and TRICARE claim rejection.

Sponsors must also advise the nearest Uniformed Service issuing facility concerning additions or changes to dependent data that affect DEERS enrollment and eligibility within 30 days of the change (e.g., marriage, divorce, newborns, disenrollment form college, death, family member joining the military, etc.). Failure to terminate ineligible dependents can result in your being billed for medical care provided.

How Can I Find the Closest DEERS/RAPIDS Location?
Most military installations have the capability of updating DEERS and issuing military identification cards. For example, there is a DEERS/RAPIDS office at the Army Guard HQ Center (Tallahassee), 1225 Easterwood Dr, Tallahassee, FL 32311. They can be reached at (850) 245-0100.

If you have access to the internet, you can find the nearest location at the RAPIDS Site Location website

You can look up DEERS/RAPIDS sites by zip code, city, state, etc. Be sure to call them before visiting the location to validate business hours and location.

Can I change DEERS information online?
Some information (e.g., address, e-mail address, work phone or home phone numbers) can be changed online. Click here.

Click on “Personal Information.” You’ll be asked to provide your name, SSN and date of birth before you’re given permission to change DEERS information.

You cannot change dependent status on-line (e.g., marriage, divorce, add newborn, adoption, etc.). Verifying officials, at the DEERS/RAPIDS site, must verify dependent status (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.) before changes can be made to DEERS.

I just got married, what information do I need to update DEERS and get my spouse an ID card?

  • Common Access Card (CAC) of the sponsor
  • Marriage certificate (a marriage license cannot be used)
  • Picture ID card for spouse (e.g., driver’s license)
  • Spouse’s Social Security card
  • Medicare card (if applicable)

I just got married, and have stepchildren, what information do I need to update DEERS and get my stepchildren an ID card?
Marriage certificate and birth certificates and Social Security cards of the stepchildren are required.

I just got divorced. What information do I need to update DEERS?
A final divorce decree is required before we can update your divorce in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). The divorce decree must be original, a court-certified copy, or a photocopy that reflects the file number.

You’ll also need to turn in the military identification cards of your spouse and stepchildren so we can take/initiate appropriate revocation actions

I’m about to divorce my wife. We’ve been married for 22 years. Does she retain her ID card and benefits?
An non-remarried former spouse who at the time of divorce was married to the member for 20 years during which time the member performed 20 years creditable service in determining eligibility to retired or retainer pay and the marriage and service overlapped at least 15 years is entitled to certain benefits and privileges.

  • If the couple was married for 20+ years and the member was in the service for 20+ years and the overlap of the two was 20+ years, then the spouse is entitled to medical service (MS), TRICARE (MC) as long as the ex-spouse is not enrolled in an employer-sponsored health plan. The spouse is also entitled to Commissary; Exchange; and Morale, Welfare and Recreation benefits.
  • If the couple was married for 20+ years and the member was in the service for 20+ years and the overlap of the two was 15+ years but less than 20 years, then the spouse is entitled to medical service (MS), TRICARE (MC) for one year, as long as the ex-spouse is not enrolled in an employer-sponsored health plan.

I’m over 21 and a full-time student. Am I entitled to a military identification card?
Unmarried children 21 or 22 years of age, who have not attained the age of 23 are entitled to a military ID (students remain eligible for an ID card until age 23 or date of graduation, whichever occurs first)

Eligibility requirements:

  • Enrolled full time in an accredited institution of higher learning leading to an associate’s degree or higher.
  • Dependent on the sponsor for over 50% of their support.
  • Cannot Combine Hours from Two Institutions: Students enrolled less than full time in two institutions of higher learning may not combine hours to qualify as full time students. Title 10, Section 1072 is specific in that the child must be enrolled in a full-time course of study at an institution of higher learning versus institutions.

Documentation requirements:

  • If enrolled in DEERS, a letter from the school registrar certifying full-time enrollment leading to an associate’s degree or higher and anticipated graduation date.
  • The sponsor must also certify in block 21 on the DD Form 1172-2 that he or she is providing over 50 percent of the student’s support.
  • Before an ID can be issued the student most also provide two acceptable forms of identification (e.g., driver’s license, school ID with photo, social security card, voter’s registration card, passport, etc.)

Primary Services Provided

Processes additions, deletions and changes to the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). DEERS is a worldwide computerized data bank of uniformed services members (active duty, Reserve Component, and retirees), their family members, and others who are eligible for military benefits, including TRICARE. Service members (sponsors) are automatically registered in DEERS, but it is the sponsor’s responsibility to ensure that his or her family members are registered correctly. Issues military identification cards (i.e., Common Access Cards and Teslin cards) as applicable.

Two Forms of Identification are Required before Issuing a Military Identification Card

Per direction of Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD-12), military identification card issuing authorities must review and scan two forms of identification before issuing a military identification card, to include a Common Access Card (CAC). If a sponsor or family member
(21 or older) does not have two forms of identification; we cannot create an ID card. There are no exceptions. One of the forms of ID must be an unexpired federal or state photo ID card (e.g., driver’s license).

The most commonly used forms of identification are current military ID cards, a driver’s license, social security card, or voter’s registration card. However, there are many other forms of ID that can be used. Call us at (229) 257-4660 if you’re unsure if a particular form of identification can be used.

You are now leaving Moody Air Force Base Force Support Squadron

Moody Air Force Base Force Support Squadron provides links to web sites of other organizations in order to provide visitors with certain information. A link does not constitute an endorsement of content, viewpoint, policies, products or services of that web site. Once you link to another web site not maintained by Moody Air Force Base Force Support Squadron, you are subject to the terms and conditions of that web site, including but not limited to its privacy policy.

You will be redirected to

Click the link above to continue or CANCEL