Contact Info

23 FSS Logo

Hours of Operation

  • Customer Service
    Mon – Fri:
    9 am – 3 pm

    Force Management
    Mon – Fri:
    9 am – 3 pm

    ID Card
    Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri:
    8 am – 4 pm
    Wed: 9 am – 4 pm

    Career Development
    Mon – Fri: 9 am – 3 pm

    Installation Personnel Readiness Section

    Mon – Fri: 9 am – 3 pm

Informative Brochure

What is DEERS?

DEERS is an acronym for Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System.  DEERS is a joint service on-line database located at the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC).  The database maintains member and dependent entitlement eligibility information (e.g., medical benefits).  This system is used in conjunction with Real-time Automated Personnel Identification System (RAPIDS) to create military identification cards.

What services does the DEERS Office provide?

The Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) Office is responsible for making changes to DEERS database such as adding spouses and children, extending DEERS eligibility, removing DEERS eligibility.  They are also responsible for issuing military identification cards to eligible personnel to include active duty, Reserve Component, retirees and their family members.

Am I required to provide two forms of ID before being issued a military identification Card?

In most cases this is true.  The exception are family members under the age of 18 years.  Per direction of Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD-12), military identification card issuing authorities must review and scan two forms of identification before issuing a military identification card, to include a Common Access Card (CAC). If a sponsor or family member does not have two forms of identification; we cannot create an ID card. There are no exceptions. One of the forms of ID must be an unexpired federal or state photo ID card (e.g., driver’s license).

The most commonly used forms of identification are current military ID cards, a driver’s license, social security card, or voter’s registration card. However, there are many other forms of ID that can be used. Call us at (229) 257-4660 if you’re unsure if a particular form of identification can be used.

Are there any special considerations if the family member needing an ID card is a full-time student?

Yes.  If the young adult is within 90 days of his or her 21st birthday but not older than 23, and a full-time student (associate’s degree or higher) then the sponsor must annotate block 21 of the DD Form 1172-2 and state the family member is dependent on the sponsor for over 50% of his or her financial support.  This requirement is specified in Public Law (10 U.S.C., Chapter 55, Section 1072).  Without the comment and signature of the sponsor, on the DD Form 1172-2, we cannot issue a military ID card to the family member.

Does my sponsor have to be present with me to get a family member military ID card?

No.  However, your sponsor has to sign a DD Form 1172-2, which verifies your eligibility for a new ID card before a permanent military ID card can be issued.

Can my sponsor complete the DD Form 1172-2 online?

Yes.  If the sponsor possesses a current Common Access Card (CAC), then the sponsor can complete the form online.  Go to  On this site the sponsor can sign the DD Form 1172-2.

If the retired sponsor has a valid DoD Self-service Logon credential, called a
DS Logon, then he or she can perform many family member transactions using ID Card Office online at, including electronically signed the DD Form 1172-2.  You can obtain a DS Logon account online at

I’m about to get married.  What documents do I need to add my spouse to DEERS?

  • Military identification card of the sponsor
  • Marriage certificate (certified original, court-certified copy or certified photocopy with file number (a marriage license cannot be used)
  • Unexpired photo ID card (federal, state or local government) for spouse
    (e.g., driver’s license or passport)
  • Spouse’s Social Security card (maiden name may be on there – not required for military spouses
  • Medicare card (if applicable)

I’m a family member of a military member. Does my sponsor have to sign anything before I can be issued a military identification card?
Yes. The sponsor must sign a DD Form 1172-2, Application for Identification Card DEERS Enrollment. As the title suggests, the form is used to enroll a family member into the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS); however, it is also used as an application for a Uniformed Services Identification Card. The form is required whenever a new military identification card is produced.

Normally, the sponsor of the family member will visit a RAPIDS Site to complete the form. A Verifying Official at that site will work with the sponsor to ensure information in DEERS is correct then print and sign the form along with the sponsor.

What are my responsibilities as a sponsor?
The sponsor must ensure eligible dependents are provided with current ID cards and enrolled in DEERS. Failure to enroll and update eligible dependents may result in denial of routine medical care at military treatment facilities and TRICARE claim rejection.

Sponsors must also advise the nearest Uniformed Service issuing facility concerning additions or changes to dependent data that affect DEERS enrollment and eligibility within 30 days of the change (e.g., marriage, divorce, newborns, disenrollment form college, death, family member joining the military, etc.). Failure to terminate ineligible dependents can result in your being billed for medical care provided.

How Can I Find the Closest DEERS/RAPIDS Location?
Most military installations have the capability of updating DEERS and issuing military identification cards. For example, there is a DEERS/RAPIDS office at the Army Guard HQ Center (Tallahassee), 1225 Easterwood Dr, Tallahassee, FL 32311. They can be reached at (850) 245-0100.

If you have access to the internet, you can find the nearest location at the RAPIDS Site Location website

You can look up DEERS/RAPIDS sites by zip code, city, state, etc. Be sure to call them before visiting the location to validate business hours and location.

Can I change DEERS information online?
Some information (e.g., address, e-mail address, work phone or home phone numbers) can be changed online. Click here.

Click on “Personal Information.” You’ll be asked to provide your name, SSN and date of birth before you’re given permission to change DEERS information.

You cannot change dependent status on-line (e.g., marriage, divorce, add newborn, adoption, etc.). Verifying officials, at the DEERS/RAPIDS site, must verify dependent status (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.) before changes can be made to DEERS.

I just got married, what information do I need to update DEERS and get my spouse an ID card?

  • Common Access Card (CAC) of the sponsor
  • Marriage certificate (a marriage license cannot be used)
  • Picture ID card for spouse (e.g., driver’s license)
  • Spouse’s Social Security card
  • Medicare card (if applicable)

I just got married, and have stepchildren, what information do I need to update DEERS and get my stepchildren an ID card?
Marriage certificate and birth certificates and Social Security cards of the stepchildren are required.

I just got divorced. What information do I need to update DEERS?
A final divorce decree is required before we can update your divorce in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). The divorce decree must be original, a court-certified copy, or a photocopy that reflects the file number.

You’ll also need to turn in the military identification cards of your spouse and stepchildren so we can take/initiate appropriate revocation actions

I’m about to divorce my wife. We’ve been married for 22 years. Does she retain her ID card and benefits?
An non-remarried former spouse who at the time of divorce was married to the member for 20 years during which time the member performed 20 years creditable service in determining eligibility to retired or retainer pay and the marriage and service overlapped at least 15 years is entitled to certain benefits and privileges.

  • If the couple was married for 20+ years and the member was in the service for 20+ years and the overlap of the two was 20+ years, then the spouse is entitled to medical service (MS), TRICARE (MC) as long as the ex-spouse is not enrolled in an employer-sponsored health plan. The spouse is also entitled to Commissary; Exchange; and Morale, Welfare and Recreation benefits.
  • If the couple was married for 20+ years and the member was in the service for 20+ years and the overlap of the two was 15+ years but less than 20 years, then the spouse is entitled to medical service (MS), TRICARE (MC) for one year, as long as the ex-spouse is not enrolled in an employer-sponsored health plan.

I’m over 21 and a full-time student. Am I entitled to a military identification card?
Unmarried children 21 or 22 years of age, who have not attained the age of 23 are entitled to a military ID (students remain eligible for an ID card until age 23 or date of graduation, whichever occurs first)

Eligibility requirements:

  • Enrolled full time in an accredited institution of higher learning leading to an associate’s degree or higher.
  • Dependent on the sponsor for over 50% of their support.
  • Cannot Combine Hours from Two Institutions: Students enrolled less than full time in two institutions of higher learning may not combine hours to qualify as full time students. Title 10, Section 1072 is specific in that the child must be enrolled in a full-time course of study at an institution of higher learning versus institutions.

Documentation requirements:

  • If enrolled in DEERS, a letter from the school registrar certifying full-time enrollment leading to an associate’s degree or higher and anticipated graduation date.
  • The sponsor must also certify in block 21 on the DD Form 1172-2 that he or she is providing over 50 percent of the student’s support.
  • Before an ID can be issued the student most also provide two acceptable forms of identification (e.g., driver’s license, school ID with photo, social security card, voter’s registration card, passport, etc.)

Career Development: Reenlistments, Extensions
DSN 460-1939/Commercial 229-257-1939

Assignments, Separations & Retirements:
DSN 460-1911/Commercial 229-257-1911

DSN 460-1939/Commercial 229-257-1939

Force Management 
DSN 460-9030/Commercial 229-257-9030

Awards and Dec’s:

Military Personnel Flight Services

Force Management/Customer Support (229-257-9030): LeaveWeb assistance, Commander Support Staff (CSS) assistance, AF2096 actions (duty title, SEI updates, etc.), Evaluations (OPRs/EPRs, LOEs), UIFs/Control Rosters, G-Series orders processing, In-Processing assistance, Special Duty Assignment Pay (SDAP), and PCS orders amendments

Career Development (229-257-1911/2791): Assignments, Retirements/Separations, Promotions, Reenlistments/Extensions, Administrative Discharges, and Final Out-Processing for PCS

Customer Service (229-257-4660): CACs, Dependent ID cards, SGLI/FSGLI, Marriages/Divorces/Births/Deaths, Official Passport/Visa applications (by appointment ONLY), and Family Care Plans

***NOTE: The Customer Service section is open 0800-1600 on ACC Family Days. They are also open 0900-1200 hrs on UTA Saturdays to assist customers.***

Installation Personnel Readiness (IPR) Office: Unit Deployment Manager (UDM) assistance, Duty Status updates, and Personnel Deployment Function (PDF) assistance