Mission: The Military Child Education Program was established Air Force-wide to provide military personnel and their families with information and resources intended to ease the transition of their students from one duty location to the next. The School Liaison Officer (SLO) is tasked with “connecting families, communities and schools”. The SLO works closely with the Exceptional Family Member Program-Family Services Coordinator to support all military families.
Georgia is a member of the Interstate Compact for Educational Opportunity for Military Children, Official Code of Georgia, Title 20, Chapter 17. Visit the Military Family link on the GA Department of Education webpage (www.gadoe.org/External-Affairs-and-Policy/Policy/Pages/Military-Families.aspx) or contact the SLO.
• Lowndes County Schools Central Registration (1592 Norman Drive, next to Board of Education). Call 229-245-2250 for additional information.
• Berrien County, Lanier County and Valdosta City Schools all enroll students at the school they will attend. For correct school zoning information, call 229-686-2081 (Berrien County), 229-482-3966 (Lanier County) or 229-245-5640 (Valdosta City Student Transportation).
• The parent with “Primary Custodial Authority” or legal guardian with proper guardianship documentation must accompany student(s) for registration. Individuals will be asked to provide copy of divorce decree and/or guardianship documentation to school officials for review. If you need assistance in obtaining this documentaion, contact the Wing Legal Office at 229-257-3414 for guidance.
• Official birth certificate for pre-kindergarten, kindergarten and first grade students; not necessary for older students who have a military identification card or previous school documentation showing birth date.
• GA Dept of Public Heath Certificate of Immunization (GA Form 3231) is required to be presented at registration. Military personnel may obtain a copy of this form from the Moody AFB Clinic. Families seen on-base should take current shot records and visit Immunization Clinic to have the data transferred and the form signed during walk-in hours (call 257-2778). Families with off-base Primary Care Managers (PCM) should take their student’s shot record to their physician’s office to have the data transferred and signed by their PCM.
EFFECTIVE FOR 2014-2015 SCHOOL YEAR, ALL STUDENTS BORN ON/AFTER 1 JANUARY 2002 MUST RECEIVE A PERTUSSIS (whooping cough) BOOSTER AND MENINGCOCCAL (MENINGITIS) SHOT BEFORE ENTERING SCHOOL.
• GA Dept of Public Health Certificate of Ear, Eye, Dental and Nutrition (GA Form 3300) is required to be presented at registration. Military personnel and/or families may obtain a copy of this form from the Moody AFB Pediatrics Clinic or Family Health Clinic; may have it completed during walk-in hours (257-2778). Families with off-base PCMs should contact their physician’s office to have the form signed.
• Child’s Social Security Card (copy will be made and original returned).
• Withdrawal and/or transcript, report card, all special education records and name and mailing address of previous school attended.
• Proof of residence (e.g., current electric, gas, water, cable or sanitation bill; rental agreement, or mortgage documentation) is required. Some districts may require more than one proof of residence; contact your local Board of Education for precise requirements.
• Active Duty members on approved orders may enroll their children in public school prior to physically establishing residency in the local area.
(GA Dept of Education Rule 160-5-1-.10). The state of GA is STRICT about attendance. Parents are reminded to submit a written excuse within 3 days after a child returns to school or IAW with their school district policy. Parents should make/retain copies of all such documents. If parents are contacted about a child’s attendance, do not delay in responding to the School Resource Officers. ALL ABSENCES COUNT!
The assignment by school district and zone is determined by a family’s physical address. If you have a preference for a specific district or school zone in Lowndes Co or Valdosta districts, please call Lowndes Co Transportation (245-2257) or Valdosta City Transportation (245-5640) to verify before signing a lease or mortgage agreement.
Personnel and family members should review the information/follow the instructions listed on the Dept of Education website (www.gadoe.org/Pages/Home.aspx); go to “ABC’s” in the middle of page and scroll down to “Homeschooling”. If there are questions, please call the SLO.
Please see the below list of cyber schools that are also available. Please note, these are not homeschool programs. If interested, parents will need to contact the school directly.
Georgia Connections Academy Grades K-12
GA Connections Academy
Georgia Cyber Academy Grades K-12
GA Cyber Academy
Georgia Virtual School Grades 6-12
The Georgia Lottery for Education funds the state preschool program. Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning manages the Georgia Pre-K program. Children four years of age on September 1 of the current school year, whose parents are Georgia residents (to include military personnel stationed in the state of Georgia) are eligible to attend Georgia Pre-K program during the school year. Georgia Pre-K Program is voluntary. MAFB Child Development Center Pre-K program enrolls on a “first come, first served” basis in April annually. For more info, contact 229-257-9220.